Monday, January 5, 2015

Paleo - Days 1-4

Where did I start?

I started at 188lbs, 39+ inch waist. That is big, even for me.

I was coming off a month long binge, so I knew that a lot of that wait was just bloat, and would come off quickly once I started eating Paleo.

Where am I now (Day 4)

Tonight, I am 181lbs, 38.75 or so inch waist. That is a drop of 6 lbs and .5 inches in just about 4 days, amazing right!

I know this is mostly water weight, and I can’t tell you when the bloat weight will be gone entirely (I imagine that is soon).

How’d it go?

It has been going great so far, here is what I can share with you.

For Starters

I eat a protein shake for breakfast when I do Paleo. It isn’t a great option as it is whey protein, but I mix it with Unsweetened Coconut Milk. Every day, I eat a shake first thing with a cup of coffee. I don’t put anything in my coffee, straight black.

Usually, I have a second cup of coffee about an hour or two after the first.

I wanted to mention this here as to not repeat myself.

Day 1 - Clean Eating

  • 745 AM Wake Up - 8 Hours Sleep (I worked from home this day). Shake and coffee

  • 1230 PM Lunch - Bowl of Beef Chili from Whole Foods

  • 400 PM Started feeling HUNGRY

  • 530 PM Dinner - Big Salad with grilled chicken and bowl of beef chili

  • 630 PM TIRED! Very strange that I am tired immediately after I eat a healthy, low carb meal

  • 900 PM - Snack - No Nitrate Turkey Breast Lunch Meat and No Preservative Pickles (really good)
Really strange that I was actually tired!

Day 2 - Paleo Crock Pot Roast!

Paleo Crock Pot Roast Recipe on Paleo Grubs was what I made the second day. It was fantastic!
  • 830 AM Wake Up - 9 Hours Sleep. Shake and coffee

  • 900 AM - Made Pot Roast, Hurray!

  • 1100 AM - Workout, Light weights, Row 1K on my Erg

  • 1145 AM - Post Workout, another Shake

  • 1230 PM - Lunch - Last bowl of chili

  • 300 PM - Snack - Soppressata and some pickles

  • 630 PM - Dinner - Paleo Pot Roast with Cauliflower, fantastic!
I didn’t feel tired after Dinner on Day 1, but I felt hungry about an hour after I ate dinner, odd right? I know that I ate enough, but I wasn’t satisfied.

Energy was consistent all day on Day 2. I had too much energy at night, felt almost a little wired. It was tough to go to sleep.

Day 3 - Best Chicken Ever

Best Chicken Ever from The Clothes Make The Girl
  • 930 AM Wake Up - 8 Hours Sleep because of too much energy the night before. Woke up with a toe cramp! Ouch! Shake and coffee

  • 1100 AM - Shopping at Wegman’s. Note: This is the wrong time to go shopping, 11AM on a weekend. Pick a better time than I did

  • 200 PM - Late Lunch - Turkey Breast with Cucumbers and Moroccan Dipping Sauce (YUM!)

  • 600 PM - Best Chicken Ever? Well, I struggled to get the coating of sauce on it, and to make matters worse, my gas grill was on the fritz. The result was unevenly coated chicken that was rather overcooked :( The dipping sauce made it taste really good, and I also had a fair amount of broccolli.

  • 900 PM - Turkey and pickles.
I had the same odd “hunger pains” that I did on Day 2, although not as severe.

Energy was great, consistent, high all day. I didn’t feel jittery at night, so I slept better.

Day 4 - Back to Work

  • 630 AM Wake Up (ouch!), kinda tired, but I was used to waking up at 9 AM, so it is expected. Shake and coffee.

  • 1230 PM - Lunch - Pesto Salmon with a good amount of broccoli.

  • 430 PM - Dinner - 2 Pork Chops, broccoli, mashed cauliflower. My wife cooked, and it was really good! A little cream in the sauce for the pork chops, but otherwise mucho paleo.

  • 10:30 PM - Left over Pot Roast! I know what you are thinking, but I am getting surgery tomorrow, so I cannot eat after midnight.
Energy and focus was terrific at work. I was a little tired during the day, but I chalk that up to the early wake up time. I was off of work for a few weeks, so my body is not used to that schedule.

What have I learned so far?

  • I can actually cook things that taste good! Thanks to the incredible paleo recipe sites and books, I am confident I can make this work.

  • Cooking is great with your spouse / partner. My wife and I did the Pot Roast, everything was faster and it was kinda fun. I really enjoy cooking.

  • I like food shopping, but not at noon on a weekend. That was terribly stressful.

  • I found it odd that I felt tired the first day after eating healthy

  • I am struggling to understand why I am feeling unsatieted / hungry after meals at night. It has been a few days now. No matter what, at night, after dinner, I feel an uneasiness in my gut. I call it “hunger pains”, but it really isn’t. I am for the time being chalking it up to my body correcting itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment