Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day 5 - The Surgery

I wanted to give brief mention to my Day 5 on Paleo.

You can read up on my blog at Hallux Rigidus Life for more details, but I had to have surgery on my right foot.

This was interesting because I could not eat anything after midnight.

I wound up eating some left over Pot Roast around 10:30 PM at night to keep me full the next day.

Here is a timeline:
  • 830 AM - Wake up. No coffee, no breakfast, just water.

  • 1030 AM - Last glass of water, no fluids 2 hours prior to the surgery

  • 100 PM - Surgery. I am put out with an IV sedative.

  • 330 PM - Wake up from surgery, and boy do I feel nice and high. It was a great experience

  • 500 PM - Light Meal - turkey and pickle slices

  • 730 PM - Left over chicken
As you can see, I stayed true to my diet, so yay me!

Going without caffeine was really tough. It must have been 15 years since I have gone without a cup of coffee in the morning. I had a mild headache and was groggy all morning. I managed to go the entire day without coffee, and I think the last time that happened I was in college :)

I started pain medication around 1100 PM. I imagine the pain medications plus the IV sedative are going to have my liver and system going bonkers for the next few days.

Good news: my wife is going to make the chicken again. Evidently, the family loved it. She is also going to make Crock Pot Paleo Jumbalaya tomorrow, so I will be able to stick to my Paleo.

Being prepared is essential. Yes, it does take time, but taking ownership for what you put in your mouth and committing to a healthy relationship with food is something you need to actually work at in order to make happen.

I have found so far that the Crock Pot is a savior. You can whip up an entire meal in under 30 minutes prep time. Plus, having a big crock pot (mine is 6.5 quarts) will give you enough food to have leftovers at least once or twice during the week (in my case, 3 times).

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment